REIKI RESOURCES FOR NURSES
Reiki Practice may seem a difficult to understand. In fact, whenever I speak to nurses about Reiki, I say the best way to comprehend Reiki is to experience it. It can be challenging to put into words something that can seem so abstract, yet is so simple by nature.
While contacting me to discuss Reiki Practice and get your questions answered is what I suggest, you may want to check out the resources for nurses on this page.
These are Reiki tools that I use for my own self-practice and to teach nurses in every way. Enjoy!
Virtual Reiki Share for Nurses
To participate in a monthly Reiki share for self-care and self-healing, click here for more information.
Recommended Reiki Reading
- Reiki Energy Medicine: Bringing Healing Touch into Home, Hospital and Hospice by Libby Barnett and Maggie Babb
- Reiki: A Comprehensive Guide by Pamela Miles
- Living the Reiki Way: Reiki Principles for Everyday Living by Penelope Quest
- Reiki for the Heart and Soul: The Reiki Principles as Spiritual Pathwork by Amy Z. Rowland
- Reiki Practice: A Nurse’s Rx for Self-Care by Elizabeth Scala
Relevant Reiki Music
- Reiki Whale Song by Kamal
- Reiki Healing Music by Christopher of the Wolves
- Reiki Hands of Light by Deuter
- Reiki Healing Light by David & Steve Gordon
- Reiki (Mind, Body, Soul Series) by Llewellyn
Reiki Organizations and Associations
- International Association of Reiki Professionals
- The Center for Reiki Research
- The Reiki Alliance
- The International Center for Reiki Training
- The International House of Reiki
- The Reiki Share Project
- Reiki in Medicine
Reiki in Nursing Research
- Assefi, N. et al. Reiki for the treatment of fibromyalgia: a randomized controlled trial. J Altern Complement Med. (2008)14(9):1115-1122.
- Birocco, N. et al. The effects of Reiki therapy on pain and anxiety in patients attending a day oncology and infusion services unit. Am J Hosp Palliat Care. (2011):00(0):1-5.
- Bourque, AL. et al. Reiki as a pain management adjunct in screening colonoscopy. Gastroenterology Nursing. 2012:35(5):308-312.
- Bowen, D. et al. A randomized controlled single-blind trial of the efficacy of Reiki at benefitting mood and well-being. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. 2011:1-8.
- Brathovde, A. A pilot study: Reiki for self-care of nurses and healthcare providers. Holistic Nurs Pract. 2006;20(2):95-101.
- Crawford, S. et al. Using Reiki to decrease memory and behavior problems in mild cognitive impairment and mild Alzheimer’s disease. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. (2006):12(9)911-913.
- Demir M, Can G, Celek E. Effect of Reiki on symptom management in oncology. Asian Pacific Journal of Cancer Prevention. 2013;14(8):4931–4933.
- DeVelde, J. Reiki in a cancer center. Reiki News Magazine. (2012):27-30.
- Diaz-Rodrigeuz, L. et al. Immediate effects of Reiki on heart rate variability, cortisol levels, and body temperature in health care professionals with burn out. Biol Res Nurs. 2011;13(4):376-82.
- Dryak, E, Vitale, A. Reiki and its Journey into a Hospital Setting. Holistic Nurse Practice. 2011; 25 (5):238-245
- Fleisher KA1, Mackenzie ER, Frankel ES, Seluzicki C, Casarett D, Mao JJ. Integrative Reiki for cancer patients: a program evaluation. Integr Cancer Ther. 2014 Jan;13 (1):62-7.
- Friedman, R. et al. Effects of Reiki on autonomic activity early after acute coronary Syndrome. Journal of the American College of Cardiology, (2010):56(12):995-9.
- Gallob, R. Reiki: a supportive therapy in nursing practice and self-care in nurses. J N Y State Nurses Assoc. 2003;34(1):9-13.
- Gillespie, E. Painful diabetic neuropathy: impact of an alternative approach. Diabetes Care. 2007:30(4):999-1001.
- Hulse, R. et al. Endoscopic procedure with a modified Reiki intervention: a pilot study. Gastroenterology Nursing. (2010):33(1):20-26.
- Kundu, A, Dolan-Oves, R , Dimmers, M, Towle, C. Doorenbos A. Reiki Training for Caregivers of hospitalized pediatric patients: A pilot program. Complementary Therapies in Clinical practice. Volume 19, Issue 1, 50-54. Feb 2013
- Lee, MS. Effects of Reiki in clinical practice: a systematic review of randomised clinical trials. Int J Clin Pract. 2008:62(6):947-954.
- Lipinski, K. Reiki and the helping professions: caring for yourself first. Reiki News Magazine. 2006;27-29.
- Mackay, N. et al. Autonomic nervous system changes during Reiki treatment: a preliminary study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. (2004):10(6):1077-1081.
- Mease, M. Reiki at a university medical center: a magnet hospital. Reiki News Magazine. 2010:30-24.
- Miles, P. Reiki for sustainable health care. Massage and Body Work Magazine. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.abmp.com/textonlymags/article.php?article=395 on 5/2/13.
- Miles, P. Reiki for mind, body, and spirit support of cancer patients. Advances. (2007):22(2):20-26.
- Natale, GW. Reconnecting to nursing through Reiki. Creat Nurs. 2010;16(4):171-6.
- Nield-Anderson, L. & Ameling, A. The empowering nature of Reiki as a complementary therapy. Holist Nurs Pract. 2000;14(3):21-29.
- Olson, K. et al. A phase II trial of Reiki for the management of pain in advanced cancer patients. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2003:26(5):990-997.
- Potter, P. Breast biopsy and distress: a feasibility of testing a Reiki intervention. J Holist Nurs. 2007:25(4):238-248.
- Raingruber, B. & Robinson, C. The effectiveness of Tai Chi, Yoga, meditation, and Reiki healing sessions in promoting health and enhancing problem solving abilities of registered nurses. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2007;28(10):1141-55.
- Richeson, N. et al. Effects of Reiki on anxiety, depression, pain, and physiological factors in community-dwelling older adults. Research in Gerontological Nursing. 2010:3(3):187-199.
- Robb, W. The lived experience of registered nurse Reiki practitioners: a phenomenological study using computer-mediated communication. Diss Abstr Int. 2006;67(12):AAT 3244768.
- Shiflett, S. Effect of Reiki treatments on functional recovery in patients in poststroke rehabilitation: a pilot study. The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine. 2002:8(6):755-763.
- Vitale, A. Nurses’ lived experience of Reiki for self-care. Holist Nurs Pract. 2009 May-Jun;23(3):129-41, 142-5.
- Vitale A. Initiating a Reiki or CAM Program in a Healthcare Organization. Holistic Nursing Practice. 2014; 28 (6):376-380.
- Vitale, A. The effect of Reiki on pain and anxiety in women with abdominal hysterectomies: a quasi-experimental study. Holistic Nursing Practice. 2006:263-272.
- Vitale, A. An Integrative Review of Reiki Touch Therapy Research. Holist Nurs Pract. 2007; 21(4):167–179
- Whelan, KM. & Wshnia, GS. Reiki therapy: the benefits to a nurse/Reiki practitioner. Holist Nurs Pract. 2003;17(4):209-17
Reiki Membership: The International Center for Reiki Training