How to Start a Nurse Coaching Business
For the last several weeks, we’ve discussed all things health coaching. Today’s post is the final of five and will cover how to start a nurse coaching business.
Why? Well, there are so many great reasons that we have covered regarding nurses in coaching.
- Nurses make great coaches because they already possess so many of the required skills.
- A nurse, with all of his or her training and education, is light years ahead of most health coaches.
- The public trusts nurses and listens to the advice, teaching, and guidance.
- Today’s healthcare system is a mess and chronic conditions are expensive.
- Nurses can blend their nursing background with the art of coaching to enjoy the most rewarding career.
I could go on and on, but the list above points out that this topic of nursing and coaching is a no brainer.
Let’s Talk Business
As we know, nurses are educated with nursing degrees. The majority of us did not learn much about business in nursing school. And, unless we have a non-nursing education that focused on business training, most of us do not know how to start a nurse coaching business.
However, there are nurses out there enjoying a successful coaching practice! In fact, many nurses replace their nursing salaries and are able to leave the bedside altogether- making their coaching practice their primary source of income.
So, how did these nurse coaches do it? And what did it take for them to set up a successful business?
Nurse Coach Success…
Before I share one specific path that you can choose to take- I do want to point out that you always have options. I am introducing you to one of many options in the health coaching field.
However, I share this nurse’s specific story with you because I have had a long-lasting relationship with this nurse coach. That and she has left her bedside role in nursing and has been enjoying a successful health coaching business for the last six years!
And trust me, reading books on money and taking courses on professional development, I have learned and adhere to this principle: learn from those who are successfully doing what you want to do. Plain and simple!
The Coaching Business Model
In the video below, we will talk further about how to start a nurse coaching business. Before we get into all of that, I do want to highlight some key concepts related to nurse coaching.
With the supportive business model that will be outlined in this interview, a nurse coach can enjoy:
- A formalized structure for how to start a nurse coaching business
- An established curriculum that will allow the nurse coach to start working with clients immediately
- The ability to connect with clients as often as needed, without the rush of the acute care setting staffing challenges
- Those win-win moments when the nurse coach sees the client reach their desired goals
- Ancillary support services, including access to nutritionists, personal trainers, and physicians, at no additional cost to you or your clients
- The content for an established and success-proven weekly health webinar you can offer your clients as an added value
- A program that is based on evidence, as the coaching content has been studied and validated by entities such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
Enter Donni Alvarenga: A Nurse Health Coach
I’d like to introduce you to one of the best health coaches I know, Donni Alvarenga. In fact, this isn’t the first time you have met Donni as she was a guest on episode 75 of the Your Next Shift podcast.
Donni is a a Nurse Practitioner who stared her professional career as an oncology nurse, working on a Gyn-Oncology unit. Rather than me telling you more about how to start a nurse coaching business, why not hear it from Donni herself?
I had the pleasure of chatting with Donni on running a successful practice and what support you will receive within this health coaching business model. Check out the video interview below:
Get Started as a Nurse Health Coach Today!
What’s awesome about Donni is her love of helping other people, specifically nurses. Donni not only coaches clients to a healthier lifestyle- she supports nurses by teaching them how to set up a health coaching practice.
If you’ve been thinking about the next shift in your nursing career- here’s your chance to make it happen! Take the first step and explore health coaching with Donni. Tell her I sent you and enjoy this next chapter in your nursing career.
About the Author: Keynote speaker and virtual conference host, Elizabeth Scala MSN/MBA, RN, partners with hospitals, nursing schools, and nurse associations to transform the field of nursing from the inside out. As the host of the Nurse’s Week program, The Art of Nursing, Elizabeth supports nursing organizations in celebrating and recognizing their staff in a meaningful way. Elizabeth received her dual master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University. She is also a certified coach and Reiki Master Teacher. Elizabeth lives in Maryland with her supportive husband and playful pit bull.